Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Gift: Edible and Green

In my effort to be greener, I was looking through my storeroom for a recyclable container to transport my homemade breadsticks as a gift to a dear friend. My breadsticks are simple to make and yummy to nibble for a snack or hors d'oeuvre. But by themselves, they just don't look as good as they taste. And when it comes to a gift - presentation counts.

I wanted something cylindrical and short. My canning jars were either too tall or too small. Old glass tumblers weren't tubular enough. Then I pulled out my vintage straw cup holders. From the moment I found them years ago, I admired them for their charming stripes and classic old style. One could imagine the afternoons they kept a tall iced glass of lemonade or minted tea from condensing upon one's wicker porch furniture. Alas, I did not have the perfect glass to fit or the furnished porch, so they remained underutilized among my would be picnic things.

The breadsticks needed something fun and functional - the cup holders needed to be rescued from obscurity and recycled. I added a sheet of deli paper as a lining, filled it with breadsticks and the gift was complete. Edible and green.

1 comment:

We welcome your comments or suggestions for 973 Third Avenue